FLOOD ZONE DWELLINGS – IN THE EVENT OF A FLOOD, THEY FLOAT
MADE IN SEBASTOPOL, VIC
There are three options :
- PONTOONS: We can add pontoons similar to that used for Houseboats, to enable your Movable Dwelling to float.
- HULL: We can supply the cabin mounted on a barge hull. It can then be used as a Houseboat later on should you choose.
3. POLY TANKS: The lowest cost and least maintenance option is that we put large poly plastic underground water tanks underneath that are sealed airtight (plus the option of blown polystyrene inside so not affected by rupturing, same way they do commercial boat safety floatation)
- Fixed Utilities: All of your utility connections are made with flexible connections and your dwelling simply rises up and down in the event of floodwaters. To this end it needs to be anchored securely to the site position.
2. Marine Utilities: If you use marine utility solutions, then your cabin is more easily moved, but this is a more expensive and problematic solution.
3. Installation and Maintenance: Should not be a problem if using a Poly / Plastic solution. However if using metal, eg a barge hull or metal pontoons, then any metal that is in constant contact with soil or water is going to rust out. In this instance, the installation should be in an excavated area where the sub structure is kept away from contact with water or soil.
There will need to be regular inspections and ideally from time to time testing of the floatation / water tightness.
4. Engineering: Our engineer will provide you with the calculations as to the floatation of what we provide you and the max weight you can load it up to. We would be aiming to have a significant margin for error here to cover for additional weight you might later on add, or for the rupturing of some of the floatation cells.