Permits and other important stuff

If you are a Commercial End User, you will already know what your regulatory / permit situation is, and have all the normal professionals helping you (Planning, Building, Architecture and so on).
However, any first time / private / smaller buyers are usually in unfamiliar territory, and so to try to help, we have this initial guide below

Self Help Guide for Private / Air BNB Buyers

This guide will help you to go about the steps to identify what the relevant building codes are that your building has to comply with.

This affects both your price, and how you go about purchasing your dwelling/s.


Many people believe that if they put “just a cabin” on their site or adjacent to their existing building/s, there is a lot less regulatory hurdles they have to follow.

Most likely there are as many regulations you have to follow as building a normal full house, in some instances more.

You can get a team of professionals to do all this work for you, but to the extent you can sort these yourself, you will save a lot of money, and so this guide is to try to help you do that.


It’s free. And if you are a private house owner, they are usually very helpful.

Start with the town planning dept and tell them what you have in mind.

If, before you ring, you have read this information and tried to research a lot of the items in it, you will have a much more fruitful and productive discussion with the council.


Your ideal scenario is that your council allows you to have a portable / manufactured dwelling on your land (an “Unregistrable Moveable Dwelling”).

Almost for certain, only a Planning Permit will be needed, there will be no requirement for a Building Permit.

Our products are made in a factory are moveable, and we certify them to match the relevant regulations.

If the council will allow it, the type of Planning Permit you need is easier to obtain than all the requirements of getting a building permit.

This option also is much better value for money. It is the default building spec our prices are based on. We know how to construct to comply with this part of the code which many others do not.

There is also usually a requirement that they are capable of being moved within 24 hours, something just about impossible with normal building methods.

It also has the advantages:

  • Can always sell and move it out if you have a change of plans.
  • Can add to it in size if requirements increase.
  • When moved out there are no permanent scars or alterations to the land
  • Construction is done off site so just about no interference to your use of the land during the construction phase

HOWEVER, Many councils will resist allowing you to go about things this way. The tiny homes movement, the need for lower cost housing, and the sustainable building’s philosophy is gradually starting to get the more progressive councils moving in this direction.


If council insists you go in this direction a Building Permit is needed. A Planning permit only needed as well if there are overlay controls on your site, or other issues that invalidate “As Of Right”.

There is a fair bit of work in a building permit, and with a residential building classification you cannot get a building permit in your own name, it has to be in the name of your builder.

We can sell to your builder anything from the basic structure, walls, floors, doors, windows, (for less than it would cost them to build or source themselves), to a fully completed cabin.